[TowerTalk] BIG Grip Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BIG Grip Question
From: K4OJ@aol.com (K4OJ@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 19:30:56 -0400 (EDT)
funny  you should mention this....

just built some boom struts this afternoon and ran into the same
thing....kinda felt like I could have used another hand to hold a wrench or
something......and this was with two of us wrestling the suckers....when you
are putting an end on EHS it is rigid (and lets you know it - whap in the
face) - the flexibility of the Philysteak, I mean stran, doesn't give you
that opportuniy to work against it.

Fortunately for us since they were short lengths the solution we found was to
haul them into the workshop and put the end in the vise....one the grip got
started and we went a couple of turns we would re-position the vise's hold
closer to the work area....once you had it strudy you were set....using a
screwdrive (here he goes again) to walk the grip around the cable was also
very helpful.

If you have to do this in the field I would guess the next best thing to
afford you ability to work against something would be to use a pair of
locking pliers (i.e. Vise Grips) to grab a hold of the grip - shhifting it
along the mated grip as you preoceeded farther and farther to the tails..

k4oj