[TowerTalk] 40 meter rotary dipole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 meter rotary dipole
From: w5rz@cswnet.com (Dennis Schaefer)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:50:22 -0500
I have always used wire antennas and verticals on 40 meters with good
success.  I recently acquired a KLM 40M-1 "dipole module".  This is
essentially a 47 foot single element antenna which is intended to be placed
above another HF beam.  I've never used anything like this before.

I only bought it because the price was irresistible, but now I'm thinking I
might want to use it above my KT-34XA.  I know it should be mounted in line
with the XA's boom.

 Will I get better DX performance with this antenna at about 60 ft. than a
full size dipole  at about 50 feet (which generally ends up with the ends
drooping down to 30-35 feet)?  Will I notice the directive effects as I
rotate this antenna?

I have lots of 50-55 foot pine trees to hang wires in, but this antenna
seems like it might work.  On the other hand, my XA will load the 25G/Hazer
and Ham IV rotator pretty well, so had only planned to top it with a
2-meter beam.   (This isn't much bigger than a 2M beam - just 2 sq ft. )

What do you think?  Send to me and I'll summarize for the group.
Thanks, 73,
Dennis