[TowerTalk] Rotated element problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotated element problem
From: JHFitzJr@aol.com (JHFitzJr@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 16:46:29 -0400 (EDT)
Last week I took a couple of days off and went to the cabin to do some
antenna work and noticed that the center 2 elements of my 204BA at100 ft had
rotated on the boom about 45 degrees. It had been extremely windy the
previous few days. This antenna has been up 12 years, and when I put it
together, I did not pin the elements to the boom preemptively.  I've had no
previous problems of this sort with this antenna or any of my other 3 Hy-Gain
monobanders. After a bit of thought, I climbed the tower on a georgeous day
for fall in northern WI, got a rope rather easily over the driven element and
was able to tug it level. The bolts did not seem to be loose, and it took
quite a bit of force. The feed is intact. I got a rope over the first
director, but have been unable to move it regardless of what angle I pull at.
Part of the problem is the element is about 50 or 60 degrees from horizontal
and the rope sits very close to the boom so there is little lever action. So
now I wonder if anyone has advice on how to deal with this problem. The 204
sits about 6 feet up the mast above the top of the tower. Five feet below it
is a Cushcraft 2 element 40 meter beam. The tower is flat top Rohn 45 guyed
at 30, 60, and 90 feet. I can stand on the top, but I hate doing it. Even
standing on top I cannot reach the element - it's about 6-7 feet away.
Possible options include lowering the 40 m antenna part way down the tower
and securing it, following it with the 204, fixing the element and putting
both back up. Or, lowering the 40 m, and rotating the 204 on the mast to get
at the element. I've read that you can rotate Hy Gain beams  at the mast -
but how is this done ? My druthers would be to do it without moving either
antenna if possible, next one, and next both. Taking the 204 down would
involve rigging a tram line, etc., which in my situation would be more
trouble than the other options. I am basically a one man tower crew. The next
time I will be up there will be CQ WW SSB weekend. The tower climbing season
in northern WI is rapidly coming to an end, so that may be my last shot. My
station is 250 miles from home, so preemptively turning my antennas into
heavy winds is not feasible ;>). Thanks for your help.

73 Jim WI9WI