[TowerTalk] Army Surplus aluminum mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Army Surplus aluminum mast
From: readerl@goliath.sunyocc.edu (Larry Reader)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 13:38:10 -0400
Jeff, N5TJ, posted earlier about needing a easy mast arrangement for
his A3.  I replied that I had purchased, from Ontario Supply, near
Rochester, NY, one of those surplus 50 ft aluminum tube crank ups many
clubs now use for Field Day.  He asked me for more information.

 I'm at work and don't have the proper nomenclature but anyone who's
ever served in the Army or Air Force Signal Corps has seen them, they
held up the antennas (UHF horns) on AN/TRC 110's and 117's.  They
consist of a launcher assembly and a set of 5 ft aluminum tubes along
with guy wires, winch assembly, screw in anchors, etc.

I've seen them for sale at Dayton the past two years, I paid $300 for
mine.  Love it, keep it in the garage, use it for FD, temporary
antennas, etc.  Takes me back to my days commanding an area Signal
Company.  It's a measure of how long I've been retired that I can't
remember the AN/ number.

Does anyone have the right nomenclature handy for Jeff?  And, more
importantly, does anyone know a surplus house near Dallas that has some
of these things?

Thanks

Larry
KE2VB