[TowerTalk] Concrete poured

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete poured
From: twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com (Scott Bullock)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 21:36:13 -0400
Hi All, just wanted to send a quick update, we poured the concrete today, 2
truck loads exactly. Everything came out good, and the fastening
arrangement worked good for holding the short base in while pouring. The
only problem we had was I tore all the skin off the inside of my left
fingers from rodding the concrete to eliminate voids. Didn't hurt before,
but it sure does now. I would recommend to others that you rent a vibrator
for this process. Would sure have made my life easier! You really have to
work fast with the high psi stuff, as it sets up VERY quickly. We poured
the mix very stiff, by the time the second truck arrived 1/2 hour later,
the first drop was already starting to set in the hole. ( We had a very
warm/sunny/muggy day here today)

Several people sent me emails directly regarding waiting for the concrete
to cure. I got 4000 psi concrete for the mix, and the engineer said that it
was completely ok to put the tower up next weekend.  He said that for what
i'm doing, it's not a problem. He designs and specs concrete foundations
everyday, so he knows what he's doing. I also asked him about watering the
top of the pad, and he said that it was not necessary, that it was better
to let the concrete to dry by itself. He said when you water the top, it
weakens the mix substantially. He quoted me minimum 2000 psi strength at
one week, which he said was fine for installing the tower.

After receiving a phone call from the Rohn rep late this afternoon, it may
not be going up by next week, as they will not be shipping the last crucial
parts-2 thrust plates/1 rotor plate/2 tb3 thrust bearings until the middle
of next week.

Rohn is severely backlogged and is having problems shipping products right
now due to the fact they just moved their manufacturing to a new location.
Just figures it has to happen when ya need it the most. :( Others may want
to check lead times for their projects, they are quoting 1 month on ALL
orders now.

73 all,
Scott
KA1CLX