[TowerTalk] REAL HIGH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] REAL HIGH
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 05:06:25 +0900
TOMK5RC@aol.com wrote:

> Bill;
>
> If we can extrapolate my experiences in Texas to yours in Georgia, the high
> antenna will likely open the band when nothing else will work. Once the band
> is open, experimentation will help you find the right combination of
> antenna/path/time/solar flux, etc.
>
> You have arrived at, in my opinion, the correct number of antennas for
> contesters. Three different antennas gives you a variety of takeoff angles
> that should cover most combinations of conditions. At the same time, it is
> not so many that you spend your contesting hours switching back and forth,
> experimenting with antennas.
>
> In the multi-ops I've built, I've intentionally limited the number of
> antennas for any given band to three at a time to prevent lost time from
> operators continually experimenting with antennas.

Hi Tom.  I think 10 meters is kinda weird band anyway.  I have seen
posts from guys on the reflector that said sometimes a vertical ground
mounted will beat out a high antenna.  I guess it just depends on what
angle the signal is coming in at.  Nice to be able to chose the one you
need tho :->  73
Tom W7WHY