[TowerTalk] Shunt fed tower for 1.8MHz

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shunt fed tower for 1.8MHz
From: arthurb@online1.magnus1.com (H.ArthurBrown)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:11:36 -0400
I have been operating giant dummy loads on 160 meters for a few years.
ala the ARRL antenna book...I want to try to shunt feed my HiGain
HG-52SS with a TH7DX as top loading. Sure would like to get in touch
with anyone who uses this combination to get helpful hints.
i.e Do the tower sections make good enough electrical contact without
additional bonding?
My coax and rotor feed come down the tower on standoffs. Do the cables
now have to go inside the tower frame?
Plan to start with six 126ft radials. Is this enough?
Want to run the full 1500 watts. What plate spacing do I need on the
variable tuning capacator. Is 1/8 inch enough?
Any hints and suggestions appreciated.
BTW  May have just fried one of the 10 meter traps on the TH7. Have
slight res freq increase on 20, abt 100kc on 15, and abt 500kc on 10m.
Any ideas? Do the TH7 traps use an internal capactor or is the weather
shield the cap as on cushcraft traps?
Art Brown  W3KHZ  VY2KHZ (CY9SS July 97)
DX IS!