[TowerTalk] Insulated base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Insulated base
From: k4sb@worldnet.att.net (Ed Sleight)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:31:55 -0700
Guys, if I don't kill myself packing and throwing away 33 years
accumulation of stuff, I should be outa this QTH by the end of the
month.

I'm going to erect a rather short ( 50-60' ) tower at the new QTH and
dedicate it to strictly 160 and 80. Am going to insulate the base
section from ground using some "bulletproof" 1.5" plastic ( or something
) rod
I bought from McMaster-Carr. Will have it machined down to fit the legs
with about a 1" 1.5 section in the middle ( -----|----- )

2 questions. I have a 100 foot Heights aluminum tower I can use and
also Rohn 25. Heights starts off at 24" at base, so top of tower will
be at least 20" where I transition into a 3" 1/4 wall 48' foot section
of mast. ( aluminum )( some of it will go down into the tower and
desired height is minimum of about 80' )  ( going to put the biggest
American flag on top I can buy. ) Also, will use some top loading in the
form of single elements. No worries about matching.

1. Which tower would you use?

2. Is there any reason to make the insulators more than about 6" long?

73

Ed