[TowerTalk] Galvanizing 4130?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Galvanizing 4130?
From: twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com (Scott Bullock)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 19:02:00 -0400
Mike, I just put up a 24' piece of this, it was also black and covered with
oil when it was picked up. I had spoken to a galvanizing shop about this,
they had no problem doing it, they pickle it then dip it. Unfortunately it
was cost prohibitive for me as funds were running low, so I cleaned it with
soap and water first to take the heavy oil off, then cleaned it about 5
times with acetone, sanded it with rough grit sandpaper, then with 150
grit, cleaned it 2 more times with acetone, then brushed on a good coat of
cold galvanizing. It stuck very well, as hard as a rock by the time it was
put up last weekend. May eventually rust, but by then, I'll be a
millionaire and have 10 towers. :)

73,
Scott
KA1CLX