[TowerTalk] Mast Installation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast Installation
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:42:10 -0400 (EDT)
Bill;

A 20' mast is about as long as one can safely use with a conventional 12' gin
pole. Two options for longer mast is to use a piece of Rohn 25 as a bottom
extension to the gin pole. The other is to build the tower around the mast
(insert the mast before you start stacking).

Second point is that your carbon steel mast will be unsafe with a KT34XA ten
feet above the tower top. You need 4130 chrome moly for that kind of
separation. I do sell 2", 3/8" wall chrome moly for just such an application.

If you replace the KT34XA with a Force 12, you will be losing a fair amount
of performance. It is still hard to beat an 'XA. If you do decide to sell the
'XA, I am still looking to buy one, or trade it for mast.

73 and DX,

Tom Taormina, K5RC/7