[TowerTalk] TH11DX comments wanted

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TH11DX comments wanted
From: wa9eka@worldnet.att.net (Roger Borowski)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 11:17:28 -0500
I've recently moved from the Midwest to N.E. Florida and have been
contemplating the purchase of a TH11DX antenna. I had very good luck many
years ago with a TH6DXX and have had other antennas since then that I feel
did not perform as well as the old TH6 did, including a KT34XA and a TA53M
5 band short boom Mosley. The TH6 was used at 2 different locations, one at
60' (alone) and the other at 85', about 15' above and 90 degrees from a 3
ele. 40m. Hygain Beam. The "XA" was at 70' about 15' below and 90 degrees
from a 402BA. Trying to compare the short boom, 5 band Mosley TA53M
probably is not an apples to apples comparison, although it is my only
experience with a "quin-bander". It was a definite design compromise that
seemed to perform fairly on 10-12-15-17m. and rather poorly on 20 m. It had
very little F/B and considering that it had dual driven elements on a 14'
boom, it does serve a good purpose for many in being a small antenna that
covers 5 bands and is built to last.. Many, many years ago, I had a TA-33
which I think was a far superior performer on 10-15-20 than this antenna. I
just cant help but wonder if 5 bands are too much to be efficiently
designed into a single antenna? Although the TH11DX seems like a good
design, I don't know anyone who has one and have not read or heard any
comments from users, pro or con! Does the TH11DX still use the "hairpin to
boom" feed design like the TH6 did? I really felt the TH6 at DC Ground
potential was far less noisy than the others I've had with the driven
elements totally "above ground" potential. I would be interested in hearing
from owners of this antenna and possibly recommendations as to better/other
alternatives of similar sized antennas. I will be installing a 68' Rohn
tilt-over tower here and would like to put up something that works well on
the WARC bands as well as 10-15-20, (if that really exists). Also, does
anyone have any experience with the Skylog (8 el.log / 13.5-30mhz./18'
boom) from Cushcraft? I've never been a proponent of log periodics because
of their lesser gain than a yagi, but maybe a dB and a half doesn't really
make that much of a difference when you look at the big picture, with coax
losses, traps, linear loading and the likes? Thanks for your time. All
comments would be appreciated. vy 73, Rog - K9RB  e-mail to;
wa9eka@worldnet.att.net