[TowerTalk] Rotated tower element. Thanks.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotated tower element. Thanks.
From: JHFitzJr@aol.com (JHFitzJr@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:44:40 -0500 (EST)
About a month ago I made a post about a problem I had with a director element
on one of my 204-BAs being blown out of allignment about 60 degrees by a very
strong wind. I had tried a number of measures to reallign it, including
trying to pull it into place with a hook, and throwing a rope over it and
pulling. The problem was I couldn't get much force very far away from the
boom. A number of people made some very good suggestions, a couple of which I
had already tried but did not describe due to trying to keep the length of
the post short. This past weekend I finally got back to my cabin operating
QTH to fix it. The ideas which I decided to try were to PUSH on the lower
part of the element (several respondents), and to use a long light pole, such
as a swiming pool basket pole (K4VUD). I just happen to have a small pool in
my Madison backyard, and an extendible light aluminum basket pole, about 16
ft long. Utilizing some threaded rod, hose clamps, and a couple of large
U-bolts, I fashioned a tool with which I could either pull or push the
element while standing near the top of the 100 ft tower. After a 15 minute
climb to the top of the tower (this involves going around 2 sets of guys and
2 side mounted antennas - I use 2 safety belts, so I'm never free climbing),
It took 15 seconds to get the pole far enough out on the element (about 5
feet) to get enough torque and pull the element into allignment. Then 10
minutes back down. Thanks to Charles, K4VUD, and the many others who
responded. See you in SS this weekend.

Thanks all.

Jim
WI9WI