[TowerTalk] Grounding Question

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding Question
From: (
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 18:16:39 -0500 (EST)

<< I am about to turn in specs for the room, and want to include grounding.
 What should we use for a shack RF ground - is a ground rod driven into the
 concrete sufficient? It is probably 50 or 75 feet from the shack to the
 outside of the building, so I am afraid that a ground rod outside the
 bldg would not be very effective at HF.

     As a general comment, the more you do to keep the lightning out of the
building - the less you have to do inside the building. If you can drive a
ground rod through the floor into whatever is underneath it, it should have a
positive effect on your overall grounding system.
 >>Also, should we have a separate ground for lightning near the tower
 or where the hardline enters the bldg?
        The operative word is "near the tower" AND "where the hardline enters
the building". You want to build a Single Point Ground System. It's described
in my reprint "Grounding Systems For Hams" available for an SASE with 2
stamps from TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

73,   Steve  K7LXC