[TowerTalk] Terminating Beverages

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Terminating Beverages
From: (Bowen, Arlan)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 08:59:01 -0500
At 07:39 PM 11/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I terminated my NE beverage in to a ground rod without the 500 ohm resistor
>that was there and kept getting blown up by lightning.  It seems to work
>FB.  What is supposed to be the difference between the resistors and just
>terminating it to a ground rod?

I'll let the experts answer the question about terminating resistors.

I use 4, 2 watt resistors in parallel and have had no failures in 3 years. I
do ground the near end during the summer months.

Another technique I learned from a talk by K5UR, who was doing serious 160
long before most of us got going there: Put a neon lamp across the
terminating resistor. Neon lamps "break down" at about 60 V and are quite
fast. Radio Shack has them in packages of 2, part no. 272 1102. They have
very low internal capacity.