[TowerTalk] Grounding

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding
From: (Lee Buller)
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 11:45:47 -0600
At 10:35 AM 11/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-11-07 09:53:11 EST, writes:
>>  Works better if you silver solder
>>  the connections, but I have also gotten away with clamps.
>    Silver soldering or brazing a transmitting antenna ground system is
>mostly okay as are good mechanical compression connections. Use of an
>antioxidant is highly recommended.
>    For a lightning protection system, DO NOT solder anything. One direct or
>even indirect hit will heat everything up enough to melt the solder - no more
>ground system. See my previous post about compression or exothermic bonding.
>     A reprint of my article on 'grounding systems for hams' is available for
>an SASE. Send to TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.
>73,  Steve  K7LXC

Good point Steve.  When I do this, I usually clamp everything together and
then silver solder.  I have used various types of clamping devices....from
saddle large electrical clamps.  I then silver solder
everything...including the clamp and all.  If you want to remove
got to cut it out.  I haven't taken the time to silver solder connections
recently because my station is in a state of flux all the time, so I clamp.
I usually use two.

I've seen "professional" tower installers do this same thing and braze it
all together.  Although, they did some other stuff which I questions.  Do
not rely on hose clamps.