[TowerTalk] HF beam against the wind.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF beam against the wind.
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 17:20:10 -0500
Hi Rick,

Yep! I now stand convinced that no matter how smart I think I am, or no
matter how clever I believe my reasoning is.... there's no end to the
stuff I simply DON'T KNOW! And even though I'm fully retired, insights
such as you've just provided make it exciting for me to get out of bed
in the morning and turn on the computer never knowing what interesting
new stuff I'll find. Then again I hate to go to sleep thinking I'll be
late in getting all that good info.

Thanks a bunch for your input and for the TowerTalk forum that makes it
all possible. Now everyone has a chance to get a bit smarter too.
That's what it's all about... I hope.

73,
Roger, K2JAS
Morganville, NJ
35 mi. SW of NYC

At 08:53 PM 11/8/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi Roger...this principle only works well with smaller and symetrical
>antennas...in practice when you have a long boom yagi...like most
computer
>designed arrays that have the reflector, driven element and first
directors
>lumped together (ala K6STI's YO program) the wind loading becomes mucjh
>more of a factor...I have found that using ur method of havin the element
>tips into the wind causes the boom to bend and flex abnormally...if you
>were to release the brake, the antenna would weathervane into the
>wind...ie. it would align itself with the elements headed into the
>wind....some amateurs like W0UN who live in a high wind area like
Colorado