[TowerTalk] Schedule 40 saga

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Schedule 40 saga
From: gjr1@po17.rv.unisys.com (Gary Reichow)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 12:24:03 -0800
When I installed my 70 foot tower and stacked a
2 el 40M yagi and TH-5, I was advised to find a
mast that would have a yield strength of at least
100,000 lbs (or higher). I forget but I believe
the yield strength of mine is close to 120,000 lbs.
I found a source locally and paid 275.00 for it
10 years ago. It has survived just fine in the
Minnesota climate. Another ham (local) went with
a 1/8" inch wall mast and it was not a pretty site
to see the antennas perched at 45 degree angle.
Spend the extra money and buy the chrom-moly stuff.
Forget the Sched 40/80. Do you want to be on
the air or replacing masts?    Gary - KN0V.