[TowerTalk] Keeping Beverages Straight?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Keeping Beverages Straight?
From: (Richard L. King)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:44:55
At 08:40 PM 11/11/97 -0500, W4AN wrote:
>I think I am doing an OK job of keeping my beverages straight.  But much of
>it is done by trial and error.  I string a beverage... start walking back
>to the feedpoint and realize that I made a few degree turn at some point
>during the run.  My problem is that the woods are so thick that I can't get
>a bearing on anything far away.  My compass (low quality) hasn't been much
>help either.  Maybe I need a new one?  Any other suggestions appreciated.
>Bill, W4AN

Good morning Bill.

In New York I had six beverages running through thick woods up and down
over ridges, etc. I ran them by setting up the roll of wire on sawhorses so
that I could pull it out easily. Then with my trusty 40-year-old boy scout
compass and the end of the wire over my shoulder, I would start pulling it
through the woods.

>From the starting point I would use the compass to sight the furthest tree
I wanted to go towards. Along the way I would lay the wire over limbs to
keep it off the ground. When I reached my target tree, I would again use
the compass to sight another tree as far away as possible (remember that
these were thick woods). Eventually I got to where I couldn't go further
(Usually streams or cliffs).

The beverages all worked excellent. Yes, there were wiggles and bends. But
the overall direction was consistent and I could hear things that I
couldn't hear on the transmit antenna. The beverages (all terminated) had
excellent front to back, front to side, etc.

If you are a purist, then you might prefer to clear a few acres of flat
terrain and run the beverages straight as an arrow. They will work a little
better that way but not enough to make it worth your while, especially at
your QTH.

Good luck.

73, Richard