[TowerTalk] Tower Height vs TVI etc

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Height vs TVI etc
From: (
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:43:38 -0500 (EST)
This question is a little off the subject for this Reflector but I hope of
interest to a lot of readers. I am going to a public hearing with the city
commission in Rincon Ga. to resolve my application for a "Special Use Permit"
for an 80 ft tower to be placed on a    4.5 acre lot. The city ordinance in
place limits ham towers to 35 ft.

There will no doubt be two key questions to answer for the commission and the
attending neighbors ( I intend to meet with each neighbor several days before
the meeting)

1) Why do I need 80 ft rather than 35ft. antennas on 10,15 and 20 meters?
(Higher works better therefore lower power used etc. etc. Need to get above
the 70ft tree line)

2) Will I have TVI??  Most neighbors have either cable or a satellite dish.
Because of the layout, the dish antennas point away from the proposed tower
site. The nearest house will be about 300 ft away.

All comments appreciated, Please answer direct and I will publish a summary.
Many thanks, Bruce

For my own info, are the satellite systems very RFI sensitive?  I would think