[TowerTalk] Force 12--An apology

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12--An apology
From: crb@nanoteq.com (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 08:48:47 +200
I had a personal missive from Tom Schiller, demanding an apology for
the fact that I mentioned casually in a previous posting that I had
not received answers to questions.

Well, Tom, I apologise if that remark caused offense.

There are a few things that I do not apologise for, though:

I was an "early adopter" for the 2/3, and purchased the antenna on
the understanding that 2-1/2" mast hardware would be supplied.  When
I tried to erect the antenna for the CQWW Phone contest, I
discovered that they have changed to 2" hardware, and that 2-1/2"
is now a special request item.  I could not erect the antenna, as
the non-metric clamps are not available locally and the truss
plate did not have enough room for new holes.

There were also several bits and pieces missing, including cable
clamps for the tuning assembly, a boom bolt and a set of resonating
coils required in the Reflector.

Tom was very helpful to sort this out, and promised to send a parcel
in the week after the contest.  As the timing is critical (I do not
want to miss the CW contest too), I started enquiring in the
following week.  No-one answered the phone, and I left a message on
the machine and at Tom's house, in addition to two email messages, to
try and get confirmation that the stuff had been shipped.  Nothing
was forthcoming.

I eventually resorted to threats, something that I don't like doing,
but I could see no other way.  An answer appeared immediately, and
the carton with parts was shipped.

The contents of the carton speaks of the proverbial "extra mile":
Extra parts had been included for "in case", and new manuals were
included.  The manuals included substantial improvements over the
originals.  However, I still cannot find the requested initial
dimensions for the Reflector.  Maybe it's my fault.

I still had two outstanding issues:  I'd discussed the possibility of
a 40 m Zagi with Tom, and needed tuning information.  The tuning
question was raised in an email message on October 26, and the Zagi
question telephonically on October 27.  A email reminder was sent
early this week.  One can but speculate on why the answer was only
forthcoming today.

The bottom line:  From my dealings with Tom, I have concluded that he
is basically a nice guy, and very helpful.  He is a brilliant antenna
engineer, and his products are second to none.  However, the delays
and anguish involved in dealing with Force 12 are such that I have
decided to abandon my Force 12 dealership and build the rest of my
contest station with antennas from another manufacturer.

I, and others, have tried to point out the deficiencies in the
company's customer service to Tom.  He is not convinced.

I will, as the English say, vote with my feet.  Regard this message
as an apology for my casual remark, an endorsement of the technical
merits of Force 12 products, and a warning about their customer
service.

While some might construe that this forum is not the one for this
letter, I was asked (?) by Tom to make a public apology.  I'm happy
to comply, but not without the necessary background.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ