[TowerTalk] Force 12: rivets, hardware

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12: rivets, hardware
From: force12@interserv.com (force12@interserv.com)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:07:57 -0800 (PST)
Good afternoon.

Contrary to what you think, I have sent you an e-mail response. Actually,
twice. Was wondering why we had not received a response. Interestingly
enough, I sent an e-mail last night and have received two warning messages
that it can't be delivered, so perhaps the current system still has some
problems.

Can't do it all from memory, but a couple of items are:
        a)      unless your antenna is several years old, all the nuts and
        lock washers on the U-bolts holding the elements are 304 stainless.
        a1)     stainless U-bolts are available from us. The larger U-bolts
        and saddles that attach the boom to the mast are not presently
        available in stainless. If in a salt or corrosive air environment,
        we recommend at least painting these few parts. Zinc Chromate is
        great for this purpose.
        b)      the boom bolts are also all stainless (bolts included)
        c)      if your location is as inclimate as you describe, then we
        should have run a 1/4=20 bolt through the hole that is already
        punched in every element to boom bracket. That is why it is there.
        d) we suggested in the e-mail to you (which you apparently did not
        receive) that we would provide you a new boom, with these
        aforementioned enhancements, along with whatever else you might
        need.
        e) We would like the old boom returned so that we can analyze it and
        ascertain the reasons for the damage, so please use the same box and
        UPS it back.

We have been shipping some antennas rated at >140 mph and utilize these same
techniques. The elements and booms are much different (larger, thicker,
etc.). Besides the commercial antennas, these 140 mph antennas include 40
mtrs, C-3's and one 80 mtr.

Test antennas on ridge lines where the winds have been clocked at >120 mph
have not damaged our "D" (100 mph) antennas; consequently, the wind pattern
must be something pretty rough where you live.

Look forward to hearing from you. We can ship it next week. I am in here on
Saturday trying to catch up.

Have a good day and 73,
                        Tom, N6BT
                        Force 12 Antennas and Systems