[TowerTalk] Antenna Erection (De-) Companies

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Erection (De-) Companies
From: (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:07:44 -0500 (EST)
I have road in the bucket of five different trucks/cranes in two states
and never had a problem.  In the case of the self-propelled cranes I
rented, (went up to 70 ft) the company gave me instructions, a safety belt
and departed, leaving me the crane all by my lonesome.  But, the thing is
stupidly simple to operate, so I did ok.  (I donna know if I would leave a
six or seven figure cost crane that way if I owned it.)  The operator is
safely down inside a over-waist-hi cage in the "man basket" at the end of
the crane, belted to a big O ring, with his foot on a dead man switch.  If
you have a real fear of heights, dont do it.  Otherwise, it is much safer
than climbing an extended crank-up tower.  Bucket trucks baskets are the
same, but u can not go so high.  For the $685.00 I spent on the crane
(charged me for one day, I got three --  Fri, Sat, Sun!!!), I could have
never done the antenna work myself any other way.  That price included
delivery of the monster, and insurance on it--  wow.  I really recommend
it highly.  Very safe.  de K4VUD