[TowerTalk] BN-86 high power??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BN-86 high power??
From: dick.green@valley.net ("Dick Green".)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 01:43:56 -0500
Hy-Gain now includes an addendum with the TH7 that says:

(quote)
                                    WARNING

When using RTTY (ASCII, AMTOR, Baudot, Packet, etc.) on this antenna with
the Hy-Gain BN-86 50 ohm balun, DO NOT exceed 500 watts continuous output
power.

On SSB and CW, which exhibits a lower duty cycle, this antenna with the
BN-86 will easily handle 1500 watts PEP, or 800 watts average power output.

If higher power levels than these are anticipated, it is recommended that a
coaxial RF choke or a torroid-type balun be used.

(unquote)

The Hy-Gain BN-4000B will handle continuous output at legal limit. It works
well, but costs close to $100.

73, Dick, WC1M