[TowerTalk] TOWER FOOTING -Reply

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TOWER FOOTING -Reply
From: (Leikhim, Joe)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:47:06 -0500
For my TX489, I drilled some steel plates to match each pair if j bolts
(3 pairs). These, I slipped over the bolts so that they would fall over
the lower bend. This tied each pair together as an assembly. I was going
to tye wire each pair to the steel but did'nt get a chance since the
concrete truck arrived too soon. Any way, these pairs held together
precisely where they belonged and the tower base fit right over the
bolts. I am told, the "pro's" have trouble with j bolts quite often and
solve the problem by threading the nuts on and hitting the bolt with a
sledge hammer. I would not do this unless you are sure the concrete has

Patrick Barkey wrote:
> AC6TK wrote:
>         5)Insert anchor bolts thru holes in plywood and place appropriate
> double-nut/washer combo on threaded end on "top" of template w/"hook"
> end of bolt projecting below.
>         6)Use this template as top of form to cover existing 4x4x6' hole. If
> spec for SSV calls for larger dim. form., center on longer pieces of 2"x to
> support and enlarge hole appropriately.
>         7)Pour suitable concrete mix (don't forget the re-bar "cage"!) and
> wait necessary curing time.
> My comment:
> I did precisely this for my self supporting tower base.  The problem is,
> the act of pouring the concrete twisted and turned my anchor bolts in
> ways that I could not perfectly correct.  Now that the concrete has
> cured, the bolts are slightly off.  Big pain.
> If I had it to do over again, I would pour first and then set the entire wood
> template/anchor bolt assembly down into the wet concrete.  (How
> exactly I would avoid the rebar cage I am not sure.  Perhaps by making
> precise markings of where it was?).
>    -- Pat
>       N9RV
> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> Submissions:
> Administrative requests:
> Problems:
> Search:

Joe Leikhim KE4TZH

"tv dinner by the pool,
i'm so glad i finished school" -F.Zappa 1967