[TowerTalk] Re: Low Cost Top Loaded Vertical - Illustrated

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Low Cost Top Loaded Vertical - Illustrated
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 23:38:11 -0600
Roger - my e-mail did not recognize your return address as valid.
I will attempt to make a pictorial at the end of this message to

de  Tom  N4KG

Hi Tom:
Sorry but I am not quite getting the picture.  I have tried to figure out
how to put up one of those masts using a pully combination but can't seem
to get it straight.  I have tried pushing them up and after one section
they get very heavy.  Could you please give me some more verbage.  You
mentioned the 2x4, I do not see how you are using it.  Tnx., Roger, W7VV.

To: <>
> Date: Tuesday, November 18, 1997 12:55 PM
> Low Cost Top Loaded Vertical   de   N4KG
> Top loading the Radio Shack "push-up" mast sounds good to me.
> They make 3, 4,& 5 section versions, up to 48 ft., just PUSH them up!
> Guy the bottom section and get a tall step  ladder to push up the rest.

> Be sure to secure the ladder to the mast or have someone hold it
> Guy every other section.
> With 4 way guying, you can lay the mast out on the ground, add a 20 ft
> pipe or 2 X 4, straight up, attached at the base, with a set of guys
> attached
> to the top of the 20 ft support and a pull rope.  Pull the support back
> down
> to the ground and the mast will follow to the upright position.  Be
> to  secure the base so it cannot move along the ground.  Attach the
   guys  to their anchors, as well as the "back" guy.  Hope this "word"
   is  sufficiently clear.
> I cannot take credit for this clever idea.  I saw it in a VERY  OLD
> late  40's or early 50's.  The military used this technique to raise
   up  to  90 ft.!
> de  Tom  N4KG

    /|   -
                    / |    -     GUY ( 1 of 4 directions)
   PULL UP LINE>          /   |            -
                HINGE   MAST