[TowerTalk] Drain on beam end caps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Drain on beam end caps
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:03:13 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-11-23 02:51:15 EST, dick@libelle.com writes:

> Should I be drilling drain holes in all of the elements?  In the end caps?

    I haven't found water in the elements to be a problem. Occasionally I do
run across a beam with a boom full of water - it condenses in and can't get
out. This isn't discovered until you try to take the antenna down and it's
terribly off-balance making it a real pain to remove.

    I think the purpose of the boom end caps is to 1) keep critters out and
2) prevent the boom from audio resonating. That is, wind moving across the
opening and making noise like when you blow across the top of a pop bottle.

     I prefer not to mount the end caps and have not personally observed a
"musical" boom. I'll also endorse Charlie's idea to punch a drain hole in
each end cap. Congratulations to him BTW for a terrific SS effort!

73,  Steve  K7LXC