[TowerTalk] 40 Meter Beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter Beams
From: Bill.Simpson@MCI.COM (Bill Simpson)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:18 -0600 (CST)
Jeff,
Mine lasted about four days at 120' and the insulators on the Linear loading
moved all the way down to the hose clamps. The end of the road for that
beam was when the an element center insulator broke in half and the element
fell from 120'. Looked like a pretzel. I finally just took it down and gave
up on that one. OTOH I have a KLM 6el20M that has been fine. You are able
to pull yours down  but it is a different ball game with a beam this big
at altitude. There is just no comparison.

73

Bill N5CMI

Jeff Singer said:

Hi Steve,

My KLM 40M4 has been up a little more than a year. Never had a problem,
but - it's true - I haven't seen any really big winds yet. Of course, when
the wind alarm goes off at 25 mph I motor-crank the whole affair down
anyway.

The antenna only weighs around 85 pounds. It seems MUCH heavier, though. And
it DOES cover the entire band.

73 de Jeff K2KV
k2kv@reallybig.com