[TowerTalk] 40M wire beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40M wire beam
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:48:40
I am posting this to both TowerTalk and CQ-Contest because it is germane to
both lists.

Yesterday Susan (K5DU) and I (K5NA) finished putting up a full-sized 6
element inverted vee yagi pointed to the Northwest. This would be my
direction for Japan, SE Asia, and the northern Pacific. I would be
interested in signal reports during the CQWW CW contest from contesters
about K5NA's signal in that direction.

The project started on Monday afternoon when K5YA was over and I realized
that I had two 66 foot towers with nothing on them yet and they were in
line for Japan. So after a Tuesday post to TowerTalk asking for suggested
measurements, I got computer generated measurements from N5JA and K5YA.

On Wednesday and Thursday, Susan and I gathered parts, made measurements,
soldered everything together, and ran 300+ feet of coax to the feed point.
The antenna was completed late yesterday afternoon. The element anchors
were placed by eye-sighting and it isn't exactly squared up yet. We planned
to finish that part of the job today.

However, a line of thundershowers came through this morning and left the
field very, very muddy (It is black gumbo farmland). So I think the antenna
will stay as is. The squaring process can wait for another day.

I can see the antenna from the back porch and nothing was blown away from
the thunderstorms. However, the nylon line being used as a catenary has
gotten wet and developed a major sag. So I may pull on my boots later today
and go out to pull out the stretch in the line.

Again, the reason for this post is to ask for observations about my signal
when I am using this antenna to the NW. It was a fun, last-minute project,
to play with. Now I want to know if I helped my signal or if the effort was
a bust.

Thanks.

73, Richard
K5NA@BGA.COM