[TowerTalk] Aluminum Self-Supporting Towers

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Self-Supporting Towers
From: (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 06:15:43 -0800 (PST)
>Does anyone have experience and/or advice to offer on use of aluminum
>self-supporting towers, such as the Universal Tower series, for supporting
>large arrays such as the Force 12's with 36' to 44' booms?
>Dave, K1FK

Wow!  I wouldn't do it.  First, I think aluminum is the wrong material to
make a tower out of.  I know one that formed stress cracks, like all
aluminum tends to do.  Unless it is a VERY expensive alloy, alluminum just
is not nearly as strong as steel.

But then, what does the manufacturer say?  Whatever it is, get it in writing
. . .