[TowerTalk] Re: Optimum Height for High Band Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Optimum Height for High Band Antennas
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:59:58 EST
In a message dated 97-12-16 04:35:11 EST, k4mzw@akorn.net writes:

> I agree with Tom;  anyone with the space shpould consider a small tri-bander
>  at 30-35 feet just for those times when "LOWER" is better usually in
>  conterst the lower antenna will get you heard, all else being equal!

    Two points. First, I agree with the high desireability of having a low
antenna. There have been times when N7TT has been calling and calling a
Caribbean station with his high antennas and I sneak in with my 50' tribander
and work them. I'm in and out and he's still callling.

   Second, IMO the key to contesting station success on ANY band is to have a
choice of antennas. One will generally be better than the other at some time
and it's not always the same one. Sometimes it's the OTHER one!

     Viva la flexibility.

73,  Steve  K7LXC