[TowerTalk] Using MFJ 259 for swr testing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using MFJ 259 for swr testing
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 13:59:14 -0500 (EST)
Gang,

Please don't rely totally on the MFJ , AEA, or Autek analysts for SWR
testing.  Always double check with real transmit checks.

Interaction with strong broadcast stations or other transmitters can cause
bad readings.  Plus the interaction may only occur at certain hours or times
of day. I have WCNN (4 miles) and WSB (12 miles) and at times 160 or 80
meter testing is Ok at other times impossible.  Ed N5NUG told me that I
probably can get a spark at the antenna connections on the Uni-Hat vertical
if a strong BC station is close by...sure enough about 4PM each day touching
across the terminals draws a spark.  And you wonder why the SWR on the MFJ
259 is wrong.  The spark can even damage the test unit!!

Dave K4JRB