[TowerTalk] Put it on the Spammers/Telemarketers

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Put it on the Spammers/Telemarketers
From: (Barry Kutner)
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:51:48 +0000
On 19 Dec 97, Bryan <> wrote:

>       I think that it is actually a violation of the Federal
> Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (TCPA) 47USC~227
> for these folks to send unsolicited advertisments via email.
> How about an attorney that is part of this group look this
> up and tell us grassroots folks how we can respond to this
I'm not an attorney, but I've had some experience with the TCPA
(meaning, I got one of those bastards to compensate me for violating
the law by calling me more than once when I requested not to be
called again.  Sorry, I can't give more details as part of the
settlement was a non-disclosure agreement). Do a Yahoo search on TCPA
and you'll find some interesting info.

Bottom line, there is no law covering junk e-mail.  There is a
proposal in Congress now to cover e-mail junk mail. Best you can do
is call your Congressman to express your support for a TCPA-like law
covering e-mail as it covers telephone solicitation now.

And Bryan, charities and surveys are exempt from the TCPA. They only
have to comply with a do-not-call request if they are trying to sell
you something.

73 Barry
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet:
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: