[TowerTalk] baluns and wire antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] baluns and wire antenna
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 10:31:06 -0800
At 9:41 AM -0800 12/30/97, henry gillow-wiles wrote:

>the inverted v was the best compromise i came up with, the wire running 90
>and 270 degrees. this should have given me major lobes at 90 and 270
>degrees, right? i was able to take one leg off, connect the shield to the
>tower and turn it into a 1/4 wave end fed sloper with the leg at about 220
>degrees. this should give me lobes at 220 and 40 degrees.
>however, the s/n ratio went down and the sensitivity also.

[ENTER UNDERSTATEMENT MODE]

I am no antenna expert...

[EXIT UNDERSTATEMENT MODE]

but from what I've read in some of the standard antenna texts, quarter-wave
slopers are notoriously difficult to match.  I also believe by going to a
quarter-wave, you now become much more dependent on a good ground/radial
system then you were with the V which is essentially a dipole.

>all things being equal, which antenna has more directivity and which has,
>by design, a greater s/n ratio?

I will leave that question to folks who really know what they are talking
about!  :)

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/