[TowerTalk] HY-GAIN 18HT HIGH TOWER & CTSVR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HY-GAIN 18HT HIGH TOWER & CTSVR
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 10:00:30 -1000
At 02:08 PM 1/10/98 EST, you wrote:

>I just put up the HyGain HyTower with the 160 inverted L kit ,
>during this Thanksgiving Holiday.

>I was amazed at the performance of the antenna.  I worked everything I heard
>on 160, and the antenna is flat across 160 till you get to 1930 or higher.
>Totally flat on 40 and on 80 it is good till about 3650 and down, in the cw
>portion I have to use the tuner there.

>I have a buddy near me that has the UniHat, he has has it up about a year
now.
>From what we can tell both antennas seem to do about the same.

>And he has had a lot
>of trouble put the unit together and keeping it working.  He has had some
>problems with it running high power.

> Now he has not taken it down and
>installed the HyTower but for ease of installation, and how the antennas are
>built and are capable of withstanding the elements and how they have
performed
>I would put up the HyTower in a moment.

Aloha Bill,

Thank you so much for your comments.  Yes,  the CTSVR appears to be
a disaster waiting to occur in our heavy trade winds out here.  I have been
leaning toward the Hy-tower for some time now.

Another fellow sent me a note  about the Gladiator verticals.  Unfortunately,
they are optimized for single band operation.  So you need three to cover
all three of the lower bands!!  I suppose if one is a perfectionist that is
the
way to go.

Again,  thank you,  Bill.  Look forward to maybe seeing you when you
and your wife come out here to Kauai.  Beautiful day today! Low
last night, 60F;  now at 10 am,  temp is 72.  High around 2 this afternoon
will probably be about 77 or so;  not bad for mid-January.  Sky is
crystal blue.

73,  Jim, KH7M