[TowerTalk] Copy and Paste on TowerTalk

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Copy and Paste on TowerTalk
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:08:55 -0500
Hi Rick and the TowerTalk Gang,

At 02:45 PM 1/18/98 +0000, Rick wrote:
>   Now I have a question for the experts??? hi hi out there.
> How do you cut and paste email messages? I use hotmail for all my
>reflector traffic if that makes a diference.

I sure wish I were typing this from home (in NJ) instead of here by the
pool on vacation in Sunrise, FL.  It seems that at home I have the file on
"How to do the copy and paste routine," which I have sent to lots of guys,
and I would only have to re-send it instead of re-typing it.

Anyway.... here goes composing it again.

You can do copy and paste in any text document on your computer and very
likely between any text documents in different programs.  E-mail is only
another form of text document so it matters not which e-mail provider you
are using.

Here are the simple steps:

In any document that you have open.... bring the cursor to the beginning of
the text you want to copy. Then left mouse click at that point and holding
the left mouse button down, drag and highlight all the text you wish to copy.

The highlighted text is now ready for copying. To do the copying all you
need to do is hold down one of the Control keys while you momentarily press
the letter "C" key.... (C for Copy). All the highlighted material is now
placed on your computer's clipboard (RAM).

Now here's the fun part.

Open a new document (or an old one if you wish) and place the cursor where
you want to start pasting the text. Once at that spot simply hold down the
Control key once more while you momentarily press the letter "V" key... "V"
is in the Urdu language for PASTE... but I could be wrong on that one....
as it might be Albanian slang... since I easily confuse the two.

Danger...Warning.... when your text is highlighted do not press and hold
the Control key and momentarily press the "X" key as your highlighted text
will miraculously disappear. In point of fact... if you highlight text and
press any key... all the text will disappear and the new key's character
will be entered. Not to worry though... through the magic of holding down
the Control key once more and pressing the letter "Z" key you will be able
to Undo your last mistake and restore the missing text... if you have not
ticked-off the Gods too much. (Please don't ask what "Z" stands for since I
believe it is extremely vulgar and this is a "family reflector.")

Now the power of the Copy and Paste functions can bring you great joy and
amusement.  If you are working in Windows95?, you can go to the Programs
menu and find the Accessories folder and in that, the Character Map.  This
little known program will allow you to select text symbols such as: © ² ³ ®
ß è ¢ ? ? and dozens of others which will totally amuse your friends as you
lie through your teeth that you are using a $600 keyboard with all the
special symbols. If you don't have Windows95®, you will also find this
program on Windows 3.1. Amiga and Mac users have similar programs.

[Beware however, some e-mail service providers will NOT allow you to send
characters that are in the "extended character set" as they appear in the
Character Map program. After all, when you get e-mail  "FOR FREE" you often
get what you pay for.]

With your newly acquired knowledge of Copy and Paste you can create a text
document that contains 300 old girlfriend's e-mail addresses and with a
simple Copy and Paste routine you can Copy and Paste the entire list at one
time into the "TO" box and e-mail them all with a single message... ("I
Love You" on Valentines Day) at the same time. How's that for efficiency?
(Be sure to separate the addresses by using commas.) Oh! Better use the
"BCC" box (Blind Carbon Copy) instead of the "To" box.  That way each will
receive your message and none will know the others are getting the same
message. In the "To" box just put your own e-mail address and you'll get
back your own copy as a confirmation.

And lastly, all the stuff you sent to the clipboard with the Copy command
(Ctrl+C) is still there after you pasted it somewhere.... so you can
continue to Paste and Paste and Paste the same material over and over
unless you highlight and copy something else... at which time the first
material you copied is purged and replaced by the new material.

While this post is somewhat far-afield on TowerTalk... it seems that many
TowerTalkians posting here could benefit by this information in this forum
and so, IMHO, this material is most worthy of the bandwidth it has occupied.

Hope I've been helpful as that's all I aimed for doing... and anyway...
Sunday morning is "slow" on the TowerTalk reflector and no thread of great
importance is being entangled.

Later, I will post instructions on how to circulate hot anti-freeze in your
tower legs to melt ice along with  instructions on how to do the same in
beam tubing. But first I have a few details to work out like... what is the
best method for stacking the firewood at the TOWER base for the best flame
angle.

If you enjoyed the above information, your comments are most welcome... if
not.... don't bother... as I don't read the negative stuff.

Have fun Rick and the rest of y'all.

73,

Roger. K2JAS
Sunrise, FL... where the average age is 85 and everyone thinks I'm a 'kid'.