[TowerTalk] Supporting Long Hardline Runs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Supporting Long Hardline Runs
From: seay@alaska.net (Jan & Del Seay)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 02:41:36 -0000
Hi Steve: Well - you have the correct desription. The Kellums
are hoisting grips. They are a great way to pull the transline
up the tower. But - proper dressing requires the cable to be supported
every few feet.
By the way - I've been up a few towers myself  and have never seen
a "Professionally" built installation that doesn't use the hangers.
Now-a-days there are a lot of guys putting up steel, and from what I hear
from my friends, some are pretty shabby, especially those who got
into the game to take advantage of the PCS buildup.

I would venture a guess that hardline will migrate when suspended
only a couple of times at 150'. Maybe ham towers that replace the
equipment every few years would not show the migration, but
I have to believe over a long period, the weight of the coax on the
one or two support points would be hard on the cable.
 By the way Steve, I don't have the catalog here at home - but
the coax hanger kits are about 25 Bucks for a package.
and each package has many in it!
I'll have to check the catalog tomorrow and get back with you
with a price. But certainly not 25 bucks each. I use them
by the hundreds.
 Again -  transmission line is not well protected if supported
every 50' or so. Too much stress on the cable. I'd rather use
tye-wraps and you know how little I think of that approach.
73  de KL7HF