[TowerTalk] Hy Gain Balun Substitute (fwd)

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hy Gain Balun Substitute (fwd)
From: (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 22:58:00 EST
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998 09:04:40 -0800 (PST) Pat Barthelow <>

>Question: Can I/Should I replace the ferrite balun with a coil
>balun, made of coax?  Or should I replace the BN 86 with a more rugged
>Hygain ferrite Balun?  (I'm assuming the balun has failed internally,
>as I have been told that this particular model was subject to
unreliablity when
>used at high power levels.

K1VR:  The BN-86 failed.  Use the new HyGain, or the Force 12.  I use
five toroids over the coax  with a male UHF connector and what amounts to
an empty box in the shape of a BN-86 (same pigtails and studs to a female
UHF conmnector).

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]