[TowerTalk] The solution for torque relief on BX towers

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The solution for torque relief on BX towers
From: (Steve Maki)
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 20:14:57 -0500 wrote:
> One way to alleviate any potential torque issue is to mount the rotator at
> the base and run a mast all the way up the tower!
> Even mounting it part of the way down should help a lot.

My very first tower in the sixties was a HDBX48 which had been extended
to 72' with a few straight sections, and guyed.  I eventually mounted
the rotator near the base, not due to torque considerations (ignorance),
but simply because it is such a nasty tower to climb and work on.

Unfortunately, 70' of 1.5" waterpipe, when attempting to turn and hold
a 4 element triband quad, has 25 or 30 degrees of total twist, which
proved to be unacceptable.

I imagine 40' would have been reasonable, or 70' of high quality mast.

But at that point, one might as well consider some good tower instead.

Steve Maki K8LX