[TowerTalk] Sad Tales, and a lesson

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sad Tales, and a lesson
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 09:58:16 EST
In a message dated 98-02-04 01:30:35 EST, no6x@inreach.com writes:

<< After last night's big wind storm, and 3 of the 4 people that I talked to
 loosing antennas and towers to it, I just made up my mind that all my stuff
 is gunna go! >>

Mike;

Sorry to hear about your loss. In 1983, I lost 11 towers in one day to
Huricane Alicia. Most of my stuff "I got away with" for many years. Had most
of it been put up by the Rohn book, I doubt the loss would have been that
devistating.

On the other hand, about 10 years ago, K5XI asked me to help design and build
a station that would stay up, with minimum repair, for ten years. We over-
engineered it and used Rohn 45 and 55 towers. The good news is that the towers
are rock solid. The commercial antennas we used, however, are still designed
for "Intermittant Commercial and Amateur Service."

73,

Tom, K5RC/7