[TowerTalk] PE services

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PE services
From: (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 13:01:14 -0500
At 10:39 AM 2/5/98 EST, wrote:
>In a message dated 98-02-05 07:36:53 EST, writes:
>     Actually both. A Professional Engineer puts their license on the line
>every time they stamp something. They certify that the calculations are
>correct and that it meets current laws and codes. By using the Rohn data,
>at least have an excellent starting place for any installation. If they
had to
>start from scratch for each installation, it would take more time and be MORE
>expensive. Four hours of work at $60 and hour for a professional evaluation
>and approval is cheap. If not cheap, at least reasonable.
>    Besides verifying the calculations, they're also providing other
>information like plat layout. Don't forget that the Rohn drawings are only
>scenario (flat terrain, normal soil, guys out 80%, etc.). If your
>varies on any of these factors, everything has to be recalculated.

>     A PE should also have Errors and Omissions insurance. If they don't,
>they're like any other contractor who works without insurance. If anything
>happens, you don't have any recourse so it's tough beans on you and you are
>fully liable. And yes, it costs money.
>    IMO, $250.00 for a PE stamp is a pretty small cost in a project that's
>going to run several thousand dollars or more.
>73,  Steve  K7LXC

Steve's right, of course, if it's only $250 and the project is several $K.
On the other hand, a lot of the local variables can, once the authorities
get the bit in their teeth, add up to several K$ in soil tests, etc.

There's nothing at all wrong with paying a reasonable hourly rate for a
professional's services -- I guess what set me off was the idea that a PE
(or any other professional) could charge over and over for the same 4-hour

Pete N4ZR

In Wild Wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia