[TowerTalk] burying cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] burying cable
From: wlong@wmdc.edu (Bill Long)
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:03:19 +0000
For cables up to RG213, I followed the advice of the folks at Rf
Connection.  Just thread the cable through a garden hose (I was able to put
100' of RG214 through two connected 50' garden hoses in less than 15
minutes.

Then just lay the hose out in the grass from the house to the tower.  It is
small enough that the lawn mower didn't even know it was there, and the
hose with cable buried itself in about a month, just among the grass roots.
You can hardly find it even on your hands and knees.  (To understand why,
just do a little diagram of a rock on some dirt with a few earthworms
excavating underneath, and think about which way gravity pulls the rock.
Self-burial is a routine phenomenon.)  Three years later when I wanted to
replace the cable, I just grapped one end of the hose and zipped it out of
the ground.

The Rf Connection folks called it "poor man's conduit", or something like that.

73, Bill

Bill Long NY3M
wlong@wmdc.edu