[TowerTalk] microstrip transmission lines

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] microstrip transmission lines
From: (Chad Kurszewski WE9V)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 09:40:33 -0600
>I am looking for a formula for calculating the impedance of
>a microstrip transmission line in an arrangement that does
>not seem to be covered by any of my references.

>The configuration is that of a single sided (ie, no pcb ground
>plane) G-10 circuit board with the transmission line trace
>etched on the side towards the grounded chassis and with
>an air gap between the trace and the chassis ("ground").

>If anyone has any good references on this configuration
>or a formula I would certainly appreciate it.

HP MDS has this configuration available for simulation.  They call it
a suspended substrate.

If you are looking for a particular configuration, I can probably help.

The help manual for this component does not list equations, but does
cite the following reference:

J.I. Smith, "The even- and odd-mode capacitance parameters for coupled
lines in suspended substrate", IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech.,
vol. MTT-19, no. 5, pp. 424-431, May 1971.

Chad Kurszewski, WE9V         e-mail:
The Official "Sultans of Shwing" Web Site: