[TowerTalk] Antenna Peformance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Peformance
From: kz5qdx@COMMUNIQUE.NET (Douglas Bradford)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 13:45:48 -0600
--------------51802C7C0B3138862B5177DD

> Subject:        Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Peformance
>
> > This probably explains why at times my 5 watt station
> > beats out one of the local stations running 100 watts.
> > Both stations have 3 elem tri-banders. Mine at 64 feet, and
> > his at 48 feet.
> >
> > VE6NAO/QRP
>
> Well, off the top of my head, you are claiming greater than  12.75db over
> the other station.
>
> You need to get with your buddy and see what's wrong with his antenna. A
> beam it isn't.
>
> 73
>
> Ed
>
> Well, not necessarily, Ed. If you consider that the 100 watt station
> is just above 1/4 wave above ground and perhaps less than 1/4
> wave above the reflective ground, whereas the 5 watter is almost
> 1/2 wave above ground (20 meters, of course), the additive signal
> at a lower angle could certainly make this a reality. I would say
> that could happen on 50% of the paths.
> de KL7HF

  No way on 50 % of the paths. I ran argonaut 509 at 110 feet , confirmed 315
on 3 watts.
but a gud tri bander at 70 feet with 100 watts DXing  was always  nearly 2 s
units better than I was. 16 feet difference is in no way going to give you
that kind of gain.  Location  being the same the
48 foot tower has problems.  End of my 2 cents worth.........

73  Brad  KZ5Q

--------------51802C7C0B3138862B5177DD

<HTML>
&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Subject:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Peformance

<P>> This probably explains why at times my 5 watt station
<BR>> beats out one of the local stations running 100 watts.
<BR>> Both stations have 3 elem tri-banders. Mine at 64 feet, and
<BR>> his at 48 feet.
<BR>>
<BR>> VE6NAO/QRP

<P>Well, off the top of my head, you are claiming greater than&nbsp; 12.75db
over
<BR>the other station.

<P>You need to get with your buddy and see what's wrong with his antenna.
<BR>beam it isn't.

<P>73

<P>Ed

<P>Well, not necessarily, Ed. If you consider that the 100 watt station
<BR>is just above 1/4 wave above ground and perhaps less than 1/4
<BR>wave above the reflective ground, whereas the 5 watter is almost
<BR>1/2 wave above ground (20 meters, of course), the additive signal
<BR>at a lower angle could certainly make this a reality. I would say
<BR>that could happen on 50% of the paths.
<BR>de KL7HF
<BR><A HREF="http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search";></A>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
<U>&nbsp; No way on 50 % of the paths</U>. I ran argonaut 509 at 110 feet
, confirmed 315 on 3 watts.
<BR>but a gud tri bander at 70 feet with 100 watts DXing&nbsp; was always&nbsp;
nearly 2 s units better than I was. 16 feet difference is in no way going
to give you that kind of gain.&nbsp; Location&nbsp; being the same the
<BR>48 foot tower has problems.&nbsp; End of my 2 cents worth.........

<P>73&nbsp; Brad&nbsp; KZ5Q</HTML>

--------------51802C7C0B3138862B5177DD--