[TowerTalk] SS Nuts and Bolts

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SS Nuts and Bolts
From: (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:14:57 -0600
Several weeks ago, I went up the tower to reposition my low A3
hardmounted to the tower at 40'.  As I was backing out one of the
nuts from the lower u-bolt, I could feel the tension increasing.
I ran it back down, looked at the threads and they looked okay.
I started backing it out again, but it still got harder and
harder to turn.  I finally broke the u-bolt.  I went to the other
nut and it did exactly the same thing.  I was concerned about the
other pair of nuts on the other u-bolt, but they came off just

These nuts and u-bolts were new from Cushcraft about 1.5 years
ago, so they weren't all that old.

What did I do wrong?  What could I have done to prevent this from

Dale Martin, KG5U