[TowerTalk] SS Nuts and Bolts

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SS Nuts and Bolts
From: (
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 00:32:03 EST

<< Several weeks ago, I went up the tower to reposition my low A3
 hardmounted to the tower at 40'.  As I was backing out one of the
 nuts from the lower u-bolt, I could feel the tension increasing.
 I ran it back down, looked at the threads and they looked okay.
 I started backing it out again, but it still got harder and
 harder to turn.  I finally broke the u-bolt.  I went to the other
 nut and it did exactly the same thing.  I was concerned about the
 other pair of nuts on the other u-bolt, but they came off just
 These nuts and u-bolts were new from Cushcraft about 1.5 years
 ago, so they weren't all that old.
 What did I do wrong?  What could I have done to prevent this from
 Dale Martin, KG5U
Dale, Stainless steel nuts and bolts have a tendency to seize up as they heat
up. Even new ones can seize. I found that if you spray some WD-40 on the
threads beforehand, the heat is dissapated quicker and they won'f seize. I do
this with most of the stainless nuts and bolts on new antenna assembly and
especially when using and electric or battery operated scewdriver.
Skip, KJ6Y
Communications Service Co