[TowerTalk] Double-Zepp for 160m

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Double-Zepp for 160m
From: bobkathylangham@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Bob N8YGG)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:39:03 -0500
GE All,

I would like some comments has to whether this idea will work or not.  I
have a 40' HBX with a quad and I would like to put up a double-zepp for
160M on top.  The quad is just above the thrust bearing so tha any wires
below the quad end up about 34' high.  What I would like to do is take a
24' fiberglass extention handle and place it into the end of the mast.
I plan on using some hose clamps so that the handle won't retract.  Then
on the end, make up a swivel mount at the top so that the wires don't
rotate with the beam and will extend out so to clear the quad.  This
would give me a peak point of about 60'.  The ends of the DZ would help
hold the pole stright.  What I don't know is am I asking for trouble
doing this and would anyone have any ideas as to how to route the ladder
line so that it doesn't contact the boom.  One thought that I had was do
splice in two pieces of coax in the area where it would contact the boom
and then resume with the ladderline below.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob N8YGG
15 miles east of Dayton