[TowerTalk] RE: Beverages

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Beverages
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:11:17 -0800
--------------009D8896D2222C6E5ED73D6C

John Langdon wrote:

> (1) Does the 34' drop off help, hurt, or no big deal?  Should I try to keep
> the wire at a constant elevation by using taller supports or keep a
> constant distance from the ground?

Actually, this is the type terrain which the Beverage was designed for. Copies
of the originalarticle make this clear ( and are still available from ARRL )

> (2) I could make the runs longer than 580' by changing the direction on the
> EU from 30 degrees to about 15 and the JA from 325 to about 310.

Leave them where they are

> (3) I could also lengthen the runs by letting the wires cross each other
> about 200' from the feed points.  Is this extra length worth the
> degradation from the crossing?

Not under any  circumstances should the wires cross.

> (4) The feed points will be about 215' from the shack.  I plan to bury the
> feed lines to each.  I will use "direct bury" type cable, but how sensitive
> should I be about losses?  Should I use high grade, low loss "Buryflex"
> type cable or just anything that can stand the burial and the loss at 1.8
> and 3.5 mHz really isn't a big deal?

70 ohm 1/2" hardline would do you very well. Otherwise "just about anything"

> (6) At the termination, how big does the chicken wire screen need to be to
> be effective?

Just as big as you can manage! And ground rods aplenty connected to the screen.

Overall, sounds good.
73

Ed

--------------009D8896D2222C6E5ED73D6C

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<P>John Langdon wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>(1) Does the 34' drop off help, hurt, or no big
deal?&nbsp;
Should I try to keep
<BR>the wire at a constant elevation by using taller supports or keep a
<BR>constant distance from the ground?</BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, this is the type terrain which the Beverage was designed for.
Copies of the originalarticle make this clear ( and are still available
from ARRL )
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>(2) I could make the runs longer than 580' by changing the direction
on the
<BR>EU from 30 degrees to about 15 and the JA from 325 to about
310.</BLOCKQUOTE>
Leave them where they are
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>(3) I could also lengthen the runs by letting the
wires cross each other
<BR>about 200' from the feed points.&nbsp; Is this extra length worth the
<BR>degradation from the crossing?</BLOCKQUOTE>
Not under <B><U>any&nbsp;</U></B> circumstances should the wires cross.
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>(4) The feed points will be about 215' from the shack.&nbsp; I plan
to bury the
<BR>feed lines to each.&nbsp; I will use "direct bury" type cable, but
how sensitive
<BR>should I be about losses?&nbsp; Should I use high grade, low loss "Buryflex"
<BR>type cable or just anything that can stand the burial and the loss
at 1.8
<BR>and 3.5 mHz really isn't a big deal?</BLOCKQUOTE>
70 ohm 1/2" hardline would do you very well. Otherwise "just about anything"
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>(6) At the termination, how big does the chicken wire screen need to
be to
<BR>be effective?
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
Just as big as you can manage! And ground rods aplenty connected to the
screen.

<P>Overall, sounds good.
<BR>73

<P>Ed