[TowerTalk] Re: Barker & Williamson folded dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Barker & Williamson folded dipoles
From: bdurrell@bellsouth.net (Robert G Durrell)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:39:38 -0800
Greetings again all,

I want to thank all the folks who replied to my question about the B&W
folded dipoles.  I received 17 responses to my posting and all but one
said the same thing.  Durable; yes. Broadbanded; yes.  Efficient; no
way! The consensus said they are little more than dummy loads in the air
with efficiency being in the 15-20% on 160-80 meters and about 45-50% on
40-15 meters.  Being on limited funds now and with a small lot I was
trying to put up the best wire antenna I could to cover 80-20 meters (my
prime bands of operation).  Looks like I'll stick with a G5RV and a
tuner.
Thanks again for the input.  You all are a great bunch!!

                                        73,

                                Bob Durrell W4HT