[TowerTalk] Yaesu rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu rotor
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 17:46:01
At 11:23 AM 3/1/98 EST, K7LXC wrote:

>> I am looking at buying a Yaesu G800s or a Hygain ham iv rotor. Can anyone
>>  tell me if there is a big difference between the two. I would like to buy
>>  whichever is the best.
>
>Yaesu G-800:
>
>      Effective Moment capacity: 1299 ft.lbs.
>Has a nice control box with selectable preset. Only one place to fix it when
>it breaks - the factory. You'll break the mast clamp when tightening it
almost
>every time.

I agree that the repairability of Hy-Gain rotators is an important plus.
But I don't think your slam on the Yaesu mast clamps is quite right --
post-1996 production has a fifth bolt for pinning the mast in the clamp, so
that you don't need to tighten it so hard.  This *is* a weakness, no doubt,
but not terminal -- by the way, I use a shear pin rather than a bolt, in
the hope that it'll shear before anything major breaks inside the rotator.

BTW, I notice that Yaesu only rates the G-1000SDX at 2020 ft. lbs of
effective moment.  Presuming for a moment that Yaesu and Hy-Gain calculate
this the same way,  that means the Ham IV is more powerful than either
Yaesu.  But would you really use a Ham IV to turn a Tennadyne 10-element LP
and a Cushcraft 40-2CD (not mine, a friend with a G-1000) through three New
England winters?  I think that the proper comparison is really with the
T2X, where, again, you can make your fair point about repairability, and
Yaesu can make its points about the control box and weatherproof control
line connectors (standard).

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"