[TowerTalk] Re: Ballloon

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Ballloon
From: dietz@texas.net (Chuck)
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 08:16:28 -0600

Don Prater wrote:

> Chuck,
> I read your post with much interest. I have been interested for some time
> in putting up a balloon antenna for 160 meters. My first question is what
> is the physical configuration of the balloons that Fair Radio sells? What
> is the leak rate? How much do they cost? What is the availability? What
> does it cost to rent a cyclinder of gas? How large a balloon is it? Can you
> reuse it? How much weight will it support? What size and type of wire did
> you use?

The balloon is shaped like a manta ray.  Fair radio Sales has a web page.  You
need to refill it each day, although it will only lose about 25% of its
helium.  They are $25 each.  I rented a 80 cu ft cylinder of helium for $15.99
plus a $150 deposit.  It filled the balloon and recharged it the next dat and
still had about 30-40% of the helium left.  The balloon is about 5-6 feet
across and about 3 feet thick.  You can reuse it if you dont snag it on a tree
or something.  Mine is reusable.  I used about #22 insulated wire.

Careful filling it.  The gas comes out of the nozzle so rapidly you will blow
holes in the balloon if it is aimed directly at it.

Chuck, KZ5MM